In this audio, I introduce myself and discuss my not so much relationship with my mother. Unfortunately, our parents are not always supportive and loving towards us and this is currently my reality. I give examples of situations which have occurred that contributed to me believing my mother is toxic and led me to the conclusion that it is okay not to talk to toxic parents.
Society always talks about how we should honour and treat our parents but what about how our parents should treat us? I'd admit that I have also said hurtful things to my mother such as "you were never a mother to me, you're just someone who assisted with bringing me into this world" but that's honestly how I feel at times.
If you're experiencing a similar situation with your parent/ parents, it's okay to distance yourself but you have to forgive.
I talk a bit fast so I apologize if I speak too fast for any of you, I will try to slow down as this space progresses.
If you're an iOS user, the audio will open in your audio player.
Tips I recommend:
- Deal with the situation head on- We repeat what we don't repair and you don't want this situation to effect your love life and friendships. Talk to a therapist, cry, pray, try to talk to your parent/parents..do whatever you have to in order to get through it.
- Accept the situation for what it is- If you continuously try to build a relationship and you just end up feeling hurt and frustrated in the process, accept that you may never have a solid relationship with your parent/ parents. It will hurt but it's life and you can't keep putting yourself in those toxic situations, it's okay to choose what's best for you.
- Try to find something positive that emerged from the situation- In the audio, I talk about the relationship I had with my grandmother.
- Forgive- I know this is very hard, especially if you're really hurt about the situation but you have to do it, not for them but for you! Our parents are human also, the same way we're trying to figure out life, they are as well. Maybe, they were not taught how to truly love and don't know how to give it to you. Forgive them for they know not what they do.
- Persevere!!!- You are not what they say about you and you are not your circumstances. You are who you choose to become, keep going and stay focused, no matter what.